Action for a green Lan Ha bay
(Updated: 2/27/2020 5:57:37 PM)
The “Action for Green Halong: Toward Zero Tour Programs” attracted over 50 volunteers who came from different backgrounds including businesses, NGOs such as IUCN, GreenHub, Live&Learn; etc. As the main sponsor, this has become a SOI’s annual CSR event contributing to a green Halong Bay - The World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Volunteers in this event were divided into two groups to collect trash on Bai Dai beach and Ba Trai Dao beach. All the garbage collected was categorized into four types including normal waste, recyclables, hazardous waste and organic waste. After a short training on the method of trash collection and trash audit, Sails of Indochina’s tenders take groups of volunteers to two beaches where they started clean-up activities.
At the end of the day, there was 341kg of waste collected by two groups on both two beaches. Bai Dai beach has an overall length of 160m while Ba Trai Dao beach is 120m in length.
All of the waste were gathered, audited and delivered to the waste disposal center. According to the statistic of organizers, there was 70% of waste are polystyrene from floating villages and fish farms. Moreover, other wastes such as nylon bags, ropes, plastic bags, plastic bottles, float net and shell confectionery account for a large quantity.
The campaign was aimed to bring back the natural beauty of Halong Bay
As a part of Halong - Cat Ba alliance, the “Action for a Green Halong: Toward Zero Tour Programs” was organized by IUCN, BSA, Catba people’s Committee and other sponsors. Since the first time in June 2016, “Action for Green Halong” has received a lot of attention and support from the community as well as stakeholders including students, businesses, NGOs, government organizations. After three times organized, “Action for Green Halong” has its charisma and vast influence. After previous events, 4 tons of waste were removed from Halong Bay. In most cases, polystyrene from floating villages, plastic bags, float net represented by far the largest component of the trash collected
According to Mr. Michael Greene - Director of USAID Vietnam, it was the fourth time “Action for Green Halong” campaign was organized, since 2016. Many activities including training companies about trash sorting and auditing, holding competitions for students with topic clean-up beaches and reduce plastic trash, was organized with participation of businesses.
On the event, the introduction of the concept of “zero waste” to landfill and practical applications of this approach in reality to private companies working in tourism and hospitality sector in order to reduce waste from tourism also received attention from participants. Besides, companies were trained about trash sorting and auditing – the first step to understand the types, origins, and composition of discharged wastes before designing appropriate policies. Wanna to join us on this green activities, please contact us: [email protected]
Sails of Indochina Adventures
Other updated news
- Exploring Cat Ba National Park with Sails of Indochina
- Eco-tourism in Halong Bay; Lan Ha Bay and Catba Island
- Hands in Hands to help Save the Cat Ba Langurs with Sails of Indochina
- Cat Ba Natural Park & Cat Ba Biosphere Reserve
- Van Don Bay: The Second Halong Bay in Vietnam
- Port of call - Shore excursions in Halong Bay and Lan Ha bay
- 03 Days - Experience Halong Bay & Lan Ha bay like no Other
- Halong & Lan Ha Bay bay cruise itinerary of Indochine Classic Sailing Cruise & Seaplane
- Eco-Friendly Lan Ha Bay Cruise with Home Stay in Viet Hai village and Phu Long Ecolife Village
- Shore excursions in Bai Tu Long Bay
- Shore Excursions in Lan Ha bay and Cat Ba Island
- Explore uniquely Ha Long Bay and Lan Ha Bay on Lagoon Explorer Junk
- Discover Lan Ha bay and Halong bay aboard shared junk boat
- Dragon Eye Island - Extremely hot new destinations 2018
- Travel to Dragon Eye Island, Ha Long bay, Vietnam